The dimensions of the deck framing carlins are not shown on the plans, but can be deduced to be 30 mm × 20 mm. Accordingly, I had cut the needed holes in the bulkheads. When it came time to make the carlins in the holes, the task turned out to be quite tricky, as the carlins are made by laminating two 30 mm × 10 mm battens together to improve bendability. I first tried to make such battens with a circular saw, but the result was not very accurate. For a long time I had considered buying a table saw, and I decided that the time to make that investment was now or never. I could use the table saw for other things besides the boat project, and for the mast battens, a table saw would be just the right tool. So the table saw was bought. It is DeWalt DWE7485RS-XC.
I practiced using the table saw with a few rims until I got the calibration of the measuring scale right. After that, making 30 mm × 10 mm battens (Siberian larch) went smoothly. I first bent the batten into place using clamps and then glued it with epoxy, removing the clamp for the epoxy paste one bulkhead at a time.
Fitting the second carling into the holes in the bulkheads took a bit of shaping, but it was finally done.
|See also:||Building Merisirri|