Making the centerboard trunk and cockpit structural parts to fit together was a long task because there is plenty of tuning, trimming and coating. Eventually I encouraged myself to glue them together. The steps are here:
- marking the bulkhead longitudinal positions with epoxy blobs (with help of cut plastic bags)
- gluing starboard side seat longitudinal to bulkheads 5-7
- gluing port side seat longitudinal to bulkheads 5-7
- gluing them to the bottom and bulkhead 4
- gluing centerboard outboard part and the stock pieces
After gluing, it was time to start filleting which was a new skill to be learned. The epoxy mix had to be stiff enough, so I added the fillets to it until the mix stopped flowing. I mixed microfibres and colloidal silica in ratio of 1:4. A rounded wooden stick and a cut cardboard bit were used to apply and clean the mix. Gradually I learned the process and the quality started to get better.
|See also:||Building Merisirri|